Monday, June 4, 2012

Church-- What It Really Looks Like

I got a glimpse of it recently.
CHURCH.

Not just because it was Pentecost Sunday. Not just because, well, hey-- I'm a pastor and work in a church building. But it was right there, where I least expected to see it, at:
                          Graduation Parties!


It's that time of year. Graduation. This year Trinity's graduating senior class is pretty big, and active. And so, the graduation invites came. I was happy to go, to see the homes of these seniors, to celebrate with them on this momentous time in their lives.


But, I didn't just see these 17 and 18 years olds, surrounded by memory books, lots of cake, tacos-in-a-bag, family, and friends... I saw... The Church. It happened, right there before my eyes.


What was it that I saw? Community. At each of the parties I attended, I expected to see family-- aunts, uncles, and grandmas-- helping host and serve. I even expected to see a couple of Trinity families who also have seniors. What I didn't expect, was how often I saw Trinity members helping their friends host these parties. I didn't expect to see them serving the bbq sandwiches, pouring the lemonade, and serving up the ice cream. I didn't expect that families who didn't have seniors (didn't even have teenagers, some of them!) would be there at these parties, but there they were alongside grandpa and Mr. Tandberg. I didn't expect to see so many underclassmen Trinity kids at these parties, but there they were playing boccee ball with the graduate's cousins. 


I saw what it looks like when the Body of Christ comes together in love to live joyfully with each other. "If one member is honored, all rejoice together with it." (1 Cor 12:26)  


It was... beautiful.  

I found myself feeling so proud to be a part of this community, to be a pastor to this community. Here were a group of people whose faith and commitment to each other were incredible signs of God's faithfulness and grace. 

It's a great day to be Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment